Wednesday, February 07, 2007

"Sioux Per Bowl Party"

So my annual Sooper Bowl party came and went and a good time was had by all. The wings were flying, the burgers frying and cupcakes all around! And I'm happy to report I wasn't in violation of NFL rules since I:

A) Didn't show the game on a screen larger than 44" (my measley tv is only 27")

B) Didn't charge my guests at the door to make profit off the event. (although by conducting a "pool" of boxes I probably violated some NFL laws.)

Confused by why I'm mentioning this? Well perhaps you didn't see the news regarding the NFL and Churches.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007702010431

There was a big story last week in which a few churches were promoting "Souper Bowl" parties at their churches on a big screen. Apparently the NFL Nazi police saw a promotion for the party and threw a hissy fit (I guess they want people to watch in their OWN households to drive ratings up, rather than having 50 people watch on one tv.) The NFL rules prohibit such gatherings that promote the event without the prior blessing of the NFL, even within houses of worship. Cause you know the NFL is more powerful than GOD.

NFL PARTY RULES

For groups that want to host Super Bowl parties -- other than sports bars and businesses that normally show televised sports -- here are rules the NFL says must be followed:

• No admission fees (even to pay for snacks).

• Only one television (55 inches or smaller).

• No use of the words "Super Bowl" in promotional materials.

• No exhibition of the game in connection with events "that promote a message."

So luckily I was in the clear with my annual party. Although Bridget wrote Super Bowl XLI on the cake so I guess she's in clear violation of NFL rules. Let me call the commissioner now and plead for her mercy. If they want to confiscate the rest of the cake they can, although we'll just smear the icing so they'll have no proof it was written!

From now on I'm refering to it as the Sioux Per Bowl party...although I'm sure Sioux Indians will take offense to that. So I'll go with Soup Per Bowl...although I'm sure Cambells and Progresso will sue me for illegal use of Soup in a promotion. So I guess I'm on to Repus Lwob party....although then I'm sure the Dyslexia Society of America will sue me for taking their name. So how bout I call it "My annual party in which my friends gather around a television set no larger than 55" to eat my famous wings, drink their favorite beverages and watch a 4 hour set of non amusing commercials and a contest between two teams from certain cities that play a sport involving a oblong pigskin with laces". I think that works, right NFL?

No comments: