Monday, August 14, 2006

More International than I.H.O.P

Firstly I would like to thank all those who have posted comments in the past few weeks. I didn't think too many people read this blog until I started getting comments from across the country and even from our friends across the pond! It's nice to see not all Americans are hated overseas! haha... But your feedback (both positive and negative!) is greatly appreciated. I'm just happy some people find this blog interesting enough to read, even if some of the topics are off-color and "disgusting". But hey, that's just who I am. (Btw, I knew our British friends would appreciate my humor since I was an avid watcher of Monty Python/Benny Hill in my childhood!)

Anyway, had wedding #2 of 6 of the summer this weekend and I'm happy to report that some of my "Ultimate Wedding Songs" made the playlist at the wedding. For those who hadn't seen that post you can view it here. The couple danced to "Amazing" by Lonestar which has fastly become one of the most played songs at any wedding. I jokingly remarked that do you think Lonestar minds that their song has become THE slow song of choice at weddings. I mean do you really think Lonestar can get a gig playing a legitimate rock show, like a Lollapallooza. I think they pretty much regulated themselves to weddings and the prom circuit. Five years from now they'll be booking High School proms and Senior Citizens centers. In fact do they even have another song? Someone will have to fill me in on that.

Also there's a few songs I forgot to mention on my wedding song playlist, like "Celebrate" by Kool & The Gang (although I still contend that "Get Down on It" should be played more). Although everyone knows Celebrate so it's a good song to get people on the floor too. Also Celebrate gets thrown into that 1960s-70s-80s block of "Twist" by Chubby Checkers, "Heart of Rockin Roll" by Huey Lewis & The News and a few other interchangable songs. This block is normally broken up by a slow song no one dances to followed by the DJ scrambling to play something upbeat again to get the floor pumping. Can you tell I've been to over 30 or so wedding so far? Nahh.

Anyway, my other funny observance of the week came in church. Yes church. Those who know me know I'm not the religious type, and being half Jewish/half Catholic I'm sort of the religious mutt anyway. But I went to Sunday mass w/ Bridget and her family in Connecticut. After realizing I knew every word to the "Our father, who art in heaven. Thy kingdome come. Thy will be done..." saying, I started thumbing through the song book. I couldn't believe how many songs were in this book. There was over 980 of them in one book alone!

It got me thinking since churches are also looking for money, they should charge $1 or $2 for someone to "download" their favorite songs to their ChurchPods. Just think if you got to church a little early, instead of forcing awkward conversation with your neighbors (who you don't like much anyway and just pretend to be nice to them at a house of worship), you could plug it into the pew in front of you and start jamming away to all your favorite church hits, like "Glory is Thy Name" and "We Shall Follow Thee". Actually maybe Lonestar can record some of these hits to add some songs to their catalog. (Lonestar-if you're reading, call Los Lonely Boys, they've seemed to have success with the whole Christian Crossover Rock thing - you know that "How Far Is Heaven" song. Which was actually pretty catchy in a 311 - Amber sort of way). I think it could be widly successful. Plus who wouldn't want to have a stirring rendition of Ave Maria on their ChurchPod? Especially for those days you just need a good cry. Just saying Ave Maria puts tears in my ears. No joke. I'd challenge anyone to find a more emotional song when sung correctly. It's almost up there with Whitney Houston's rendition of the Star Spangled Banner during the 1990 Super Bowl when our troops were overseas. Or Roman Tynan's rendition of God Bless America in Yankee Stadium during the World Series games in 2001. Maybe this is a blog topic for another day.

The same ChuchPod could also be transferred to Temple's of course. Number one download would obviously be Hava-Nagila. Followed by that Eloyheynu song where everyone awkwardly claps during the song out of tune. At least in the Reformed temples they do.

Anyway, even though I'm not a practicing Jew or Catholic I think maybe to get more young people into their temples/churches these Church/TemplePods would be a smash hit. I mean at this Church on Sunday there was a 13 year old boy jamming away on the organ. He was really good and looked like a young Buddy Holly. Although let's hope he doesn't turn into a young Liberace! da da dum....Hey yoh. (I hope I don't have to connect the dots for you on that one...but I know it's Monday so in case you didn't follow. Young Boy. In a Church. Playing the Organ. Liberace was gay and played the piano. Enter a priest into the room. You get the picture. If not maybe you should find another blog to read)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

no mention of the draft with the Vietnamese Fighting Shrimp and Lobster claws that just kept appearing. Or the "Dave picked Eli Manning ruined my draft moment". Or the insane number of Value Picks. Or your all NFC team??

so disapointing

LOL