Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Texas: football, steer and testicles?



Oh well...the Cowboys tried. They really did. But the Patriots were too much. Too much offense. The Cowboys actually had a lead in the game in the 3rd Quarter.


The scoreboard clearly shows the Cowboys up big

But poor play calling and execution by the Cowboys in the 3rd/4th Quarters pretty much did them in. Including going for a FG on 4th and goal from the 5 when they were down 14. Smart move. But give the Pats credit. They're definitely talented and Brady is a stud. They very well could go 16-0. They have the talent too. We'll just see if they can stay focused for that long.


The Patriots pretty much took the air out of Cowboys fans after their victory

I'll follow up with pictures of the tailgate and other random player jerseys we came across during the game.

Other than that Dallas was fun filled and action packed. Ok not really action packed but definitely fun filled. Some highlights from the trip:

We started with a visit to the Grassy Knoll down by the Book Depository where that "man who was president" was shot.

If you didn't know it was the grassy knoll, well...this sign could have helped you.



I mean really...ridiculous. Thanks for pointing that out. There's even an X that marks the spot where Kennedy was shot. Completely over the top and distasteful as far as I'm concerned. Not that I didn't take pictures of the area myself, but that's for journalistic purposes of course!

Next up was a trip to the Whataburger. I had never frequented one before so I was up to the task. The burger was passable...nothing special. But special touch was getting it delivered to your table. The foam cup kept the soda nice and cold though. Foam is definitely a good alternative to the plastic cups most fast food places give customers.



After filling up on Whataburger we took a trip to the Ballpark at Arlington where we were treating to a behind the scenes tour at the stadium. It was only Tom, John and I so we were able to get a pretty intimate tour of the stadium, the press box and the team locker room. We also took a trip to the dugout. Unfortunately they were leveling the field so it was nothing but backhoes and dirt, but nonetheless it was pretty crazy being the only people in the stadium besides the few workers.







After our private tour we were craving some steak so we headed west to Fort Worth and down to the famous Stockyards. After knocking down a few Lonestars at a local watering hole we decide to fill out stomachs with good ole steer.



But first appetizers came calling. And the one appetizer that jumped out was the sampler platter, complete with ribs, mozzarella sticks, and calf fries.



Asking the waiter what calf fries were, he vaguely said something about the hanging sirloin of the bull (looking it up the definition of calf fries are buffalo, boar or bull testicles. They are usually peeled, coated in flour, pepper and salt, sometimes pounded flat, then deep-fried. Nice! High-five!).

I was undeterred however after getting said testicles I was the first to try.


I can cross testicles of my list of food to eat

They were quite tasty actually. Then again anything fried is bound to be tasty. But they seriously tasted like chicken tenders. Even the guys agreed.

After downing some apps and a salad it was on to the steer. 18 oz porterhouse with a nice baked potato and corn on the cob.



Of course being that I'm a glutton for ignoring my stomach when it says it's full, I threw down some pecan pie.



Unfortunately I didn't get any Paul Bunyon hats for me eating performance but I was completely stuffed afterwards. I was so stuffed actually that I wasn't able to get out of the car when Tom and John went to the supermarket. So I just sat there and slumped in my seat. At least it allowed me to snap a picture of this beauty. Nothing like putting megawheels on a 4x4.



Only in Texas my friends, only in Texas.

No comments: