Monday, April 16, 2007

Listen Up!

Since this weekend was pretty much a wash out, there was nothing much to do but stay in on Sunday and watch some television. Bridget and I flipped around the tube and found an old movie on Channel 55 starring Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase called "Seems Like Old Times". The movie was pretty funny actually (I had never seen it but Bridget had), typical Chevy Chase deadpan comedy routine if you're a fan of Chevy Chase. Anyway, on this "Channel 55" there were infomercials galore. Then again that shouldn't surprise me since Channel 55 might as well be broadcast from my apartment since it's that obscure. Actually I may be the only person who actually gets the channel. I'll look into that.

Anyway we saw this one infomercial for this product called Listen Up. It was your typical "Made for TV" commercial, made in the mold of the "I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up" classic infomercial from days yonder. The commercial features old people having problems hearing, people being annoyed by the loud sound of televisions blaring and other hearing impared situations. But the funny part of the commercial is at the :45 second mark. They show a guy who appears to be "not quite old enough to require heading assistance" at the gym. He has his Listen Up product on and can hear a conversation two females are having across the gym about him.



Bridget and I looked at each other in disbelief. Isn't this basically just a form of spying or eavesdropping? Aren't hearing aids supposed to benefit those who are hearing impared? When did they suddenly become eavesdropping devices? And if that's the practical use you were to get out of them, why would this company advertise that? You're basically saying "buy my product and you can hear what people are saying about you from across the room or across the street"?

If that isn't enough I went on the website and lo and behold here’s the following statement in bold:



Umm...excuse me? Isn't that sort of illegal? Or if it isn't, it's extremely unethical. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hear what people say about me behind my back (and I'm sure most of you would as well. Honestly. Don't lie about that.) But still, there's something just creepy about it. Especially with the guy in the gym in the commercial...he has the biggest shit-eating grin on his face when he hears the women talking nicely about him. But what if that backfired? What if they said "eww...look at that loser over there, I bet his dick is about 2 inches small". Would he enjoy the benefits of his "Listen Up" then? Would he??? No, he'd be embarrassed as fuck.

So the bottom line is some things are better off left unsaid...or in this case unheard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ha..nice...yeah that could be good for the kgb!