Thursday, June 14, 2007

"Bat" Man

Last night sitting in the bleachers at the Yankees game I was sitting in front of this older couple, probably in their 50s. They looked like they just got off the bus from Woodstock, with their long white hair and shoddy clothing. However they seemed nice and they were definitely avid Yankee fans. The lady however was cheering for everything. She even cheered loudly when the corporate sponsor for umbrella day was acknowledged before the game. Who cheers for the corporate sponsor??? But the worst part was her whistle. She emitted this ultra-high pitched whistle that I think most dogs would cover their ears listening too. It was deafening. I'm still hearing some of the feedback in my ear. She whistled and clapped for everything. Mussina threw a ball? "Come on Mooooseeee let's get it back" followed by loud claps and her shreiking whistle. Wil Nieves struck out again? Whistle, clap, whistle. "Get em next time Willie!"

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm all for cheering at games. But jesus christ lady...be aware of people sitting in front of you when you're whistling. And there's really no need to whistle for a foul ball. Honestly. If Mussina's pitch count was 66 by the 5th inning, her whistle count was in the 100's. Eventually I became deaf enough in my right ear that it stopped fazing me. But 2 or 3 people actually moved their seats because of her loud cheering. Thankfully I left in the 7th inning to avoid any further damage to my ear drums. What's that? Huh? Sorry thought someone was calling my name.

Anyway, sorry to vent about that...I think that's just my ear speaking out in frustration. Although it could have been worse. I could have been this guy (click for larger image):



I think the funniest part of the picture is how he's the only one not defending himself from the bat. People a few seats over have their hands raised or are covering themselves. The people on the left side look like they're watching a horror film and are screaming. But this guy just took the bat on the chin. According to the caption he suffered a broken rib...but not sure how he didn't break his jaw. Then again he's wearing an Ireland shirt, so I'm sure he's used to getting hit in the face. (I'll take Irish stereotypes for $200 please).

Ooooh...what's that, someone just said there's donuts in the conference room. I'm so there. Be back with more later...


Mmmm....donuts

Post blog note: hmm...so turns out I'm just hearing things...no donuts. damn...that lady really fucked my ear up!

No comments: