Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Cuteness Factor

Some of the top visited websites in the world these days are animal picture sites. The one in particular that everyone seems to go to is I Can Has Cheezburger.com



The site is basically a cat lovers feast, with pictures and captions of people's favorite feline friends. I personally am more of a dog guy than a cat guy...but cool cats can be cool, and this site tends to showcase pictures of cats putting themselves in precarious positions. Although honestly, I don't like the captions. I think it's stupid and cheezy. I know that's probably the point of the site but still...I don't think cats, if they could talk, would speak in broken english like the site suggests. You'd expect the cat to be articulate and calculating with their words, much like their wary and cautious personalities. Not with a dumbed down "which way did he go, which way did he go" sense of personality. So personally I don't like the site. Is it tongue and cheek? Probably. But honestly, just show me pictures of the damn cat and I'll decide my own caption.

How would that work you ask? Well just look at The Daily Puppy.



The site is just pictures of puppies. A new set of pictures uploaded everyday. Nothing but cute, adorable puppies. No stupid headlines like "I canz eatz da cheezburgerz???" are placed on the pictures. Just the pictures of the dogs and the stories behind the puppies. Plus instead of one picture, the owners normally upload dozens of pictures of their dogs. Personally, I think that's the way an animal website should be done. Let me make my own captions without some idiot telling me what to think in broken english.

Anyway, in the spirit of showcasing your pets...while I don't have a pet of my own (just yet - will have one soon though!), I am an uncle of an American Eskimo named Max.







I'm also a "step-uncle" for an English Bulldog named Vegas







See, you can showcase your pets without captions. Let that be a lesson to I Can Haz Cheezburger! The battle of showcasing animal websites goes to the Dogs!

No comments: